Thursday, February 9, 2017

The Reason I Baypen by Will Seger





I just copied this from a comment Will made on a Facebook post. I want to share it because it is well written.

Will is the owner of Legend who won the High Point and Best of the Best at Uncle Earl's 2016.





I will put a link here to the video of Legend winning both events, but I am advising you that you must have Facebook to open it.


Below is Will's reason for hauling his dogs to baypen competitions...


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

I have had a passion for working dogs for a long time. I owned a bay pen in south central Texas 15 years ago. I raised some dogs acquired some dogs and I genuinely enjoy watching good working dogs. Back then I really didn’t have the money to travel a lot like I do now. I ran dogs in bay pens up until around 2008 or 2009. 





I think we all really truly love to see our dogs work otherwise why the hell would we traipse through dog shit everyday, spend thousands of dollars on dog feed vet bills and countless hours in the practice pen trying to correct or train or just tune up a dog.




People often say oh that guy does it for the money, or they just bay dogs for the trophies, or they just show up to donate to the pot. Inevitably that guy that does it for the money loses money and goes home broke, that guy that hauls all over for the trophies comes home empty handed, don’t forget about those folks that go donate to the pot because one day they come home with a stack of cash and all the trophies. 





The guy that says he does it just to see his dogs work is just as happy when he wins as the guy that does it for the money or why else would he cull so hard. I promise you one thing everybody in this business works hard to put their pack together to go to the show to see if their dogs are good enough to be the best there.





 The other thing I will promise you is that everyone in this business loves their dogs. I have seen the toughest dudes in the business bend over and love on their dogs just like they were a 5 year old kid and don’t lie Mike Murphy I saw you giving Gumbo kisses lol, especially when they do good. 






I genuinely think we all have the same goals at heart its just some people go about reaching their goals differently and the paths each of us follow to obtain these goals change the way we perceive each other. Some of us have preconceived opinion of others until we are all open minded enough to understand who each of us are.


 If you desire to come to a baying and not speak to anyone so be it. 





                                            If you think you want to run for the bay pen governor great! 





Whether or not you haul for the money the trophies the dogs or the fellowship it doesn’t matter to me! I am not gonna hate on you because I think everyone here is doing it for the same reasons at the end of the day! I know each and everyone of you are happy when you win and disappointed when you lose even tho you may not expect to win it would still be nice to do so! 





The reason I haul is number one I love to watch good dogs work and Im very pleased when those good dogs working are mine not so much when they screw up! I like to win because I am a very competitive person. I like to win money because lets be honest this sport is expensive any little bit you win goes right back into your program.






 I like to win trophies because they remind me of what i am doing right and what I’m doing wrong when I sit down and look at my program.



 I love the fellowship and visiting and learning new things and techniques people use and what to do and what not to do. Im thankful for competitors who are as passionate as me. 





I am thankful for all the great bay pens going out there today and the people that run them. I haven’t had a chance to get to go to everyone of them but Im still thankful for them. I am thankful that I have been fortunate enough to own some great dogs and be able to campaign them across the country. 



Lastly I am appreciative to all the people in this business that came before us that started this sport and set the foundation for us to enjoy by breeding good dogs and creating events for us to compete! 



 To close out I don’t mean any disrespect to anyone when someone asks me what my dogs name is and I say Mother Fucken Legend and I don’t apologize for saying it because it makes me feel good kinda like drinking a frozen margarita with a Grand Marnier floater! Its a joke Scott Bradley don’t take it so seriously!

On the real tho Im looking forward to seeing y’all at the next baying.

Good Luck my friends
!

No comments: