Sunday, May 9, 2010

I Am Not In It For The Money

And I am not in it for the glory either. I have nothing to brag about. There are no trophies on my wall. But I will say this: Since Hurricane Katrina killed tourism in Louisiana and I had to quit doing swamp tours for a few years, my dogs have been my most consistent stream of income. And my dogs fed me well, so I care a great deal about these dogs welfare, because they care about me and serve me well.

I am not in it for the money, I could have sold every puppy over the last few years, and I sold more than I wanted to because I was trying to survive the loss of income due to a natural disaster which hurt a lot of people a lot more than it hurt me. In spite of the losses we suffered through 5 major hurricanes in 5 years, I am happy to report I did not lose my self respect, integrity, perseverance, generosity or character. And if you know me well, you know, I am quite a character! But, I did lose my sense of humor for a while, and I got it back!

Barbara, chocolate leopard, daughter of Bijeaux at 5 months old

Don't feel sorry for me, I am blessed. I have a lot of friends, and my Louisiana swamp tours are once again generating a decent income for me, and through that I am once again making new friends from all over the world and getting back on my feet financially.

de la Houssaye's Swamp Tours

Also, I have had for a year and a half now, a very special, new friend, who I met at the boat landing where I do swamp tours and we have a lot in common. We are both born and raised in New Iberia, about 20 miles south of Lafayette. We both want to see a world as we saw it as children growing up in the fifties and sixties when families were close, neighbors helped one another and we trusted our government to protect us.

You may never get to meet Danny Allen, unless you host one the locations of one of my up and coming hunting or fishing programs, because he works behind the scenes as my producer, camera man and editor. But I want you to know my TV programs would not be possible if it weren't for him. His vision, talent, and our growing friendship, has inspired and produced a new Cajun Country, television show that will include some hog hunts and hopefully bring the truth to the world about how important hog hunting is to conservation of the natural environment that sustains all species, and also to bringing families together in this fine sport of American dog hunting of wild hogs.

I want to share a vision with you....

Let's say you've been able to explore the world and have made connections with some amazing people. You've developed close relationships across cultures, and now have a sense you could go anywhere in the world and find friends. How would that affect your attitude towards humanity in general?

We could envision a world where everyone is inspired to help and care for each other, regardless of differences in social culture or personal ideologies. We could believe that the more we see the world as an exciting mix of unique people, the more motivated we are to protect and preserve diversity.

We live in a complicated world and there may always be conflicts over natural resources and religious or political ideologies. If enough people experience meaningful relationships with people who are vastly different, wouldn't they protect a sense of unity, even in the face of disagreement? Wouldn't our feeling of kinship across cultures also make it impossible to accept aggression - no matter whom it's directed towards?

Experiencing meaningful connections in spite of differences invigorates us to seek understanding and harmony when conflicts inevitably arise.

So what is this about? I have the red ass at certain people, but it does not overshadow my intent from the beginning of my relationship with them to form a lasting and meaningful relationship.

N.A.L.C. registration papers for C Arrow Patch

I am being invited into the N.A.L.C. because I am recognised as striving to preserve the old working bloodlines that served to feed the families that founded this great nation, protected the homestead, and penned wild livestock for centuries past. Some of the bloodlines go back to the Spanish land grants. I would not have been allowed to bring these dogs genetics into my breeding program unless, I had close personal relationships with these old timers and respected the conditions that they placed upon the dogs they gave to me. The old timers are very much disgusted with people who they treated as family, and placed dogs where they thought they would be safe, then they were mistreated by these same people who did not appreciate, value and respect the old time way of neighbors helping neighbors.

And here is where I need your help, there is a bill pending in the state of Louisiana that would make it damn near impossible for me to continue breeding these fine dogs I have on my property.

It is detailed on page 16 of the May Issue of Bayed Solid Magazine and I made a photo copy for your convenience below.



Notice #2 above states it would be illegal in the state of Louisiana to tie a dog with a chain less than 12 feet long, punishable by a fine of $300. Looks like the politicians are in it for the money! And furthermore anyone who knows anything about Catahoulas or has dogs that must be tied, knows that a 12 foot long chain is prone to getting hung up and then the dog can't reach it's house for shelter, or water for refreshment. Please call your local politicians in the state of Louisiana and protest this bill.


And here is another one designed to make it a crime to sell a dog or own more than five dogs unless you pay a kennel license fee(tax).

Lets see if I got this right, it is a crime to sell a dog, unless we buy a permit first?

And if anyone has a litter of puppies they are required to have a permit too, which costs money and having a litter of puppies without a permit is a crime, punishable by fine of $300?

People I don't know about you but I resent my government trying to tell me what to do and not do with my dogs in my yard and then heap more taxes on top of it!

No comments: